
Paul Otellini, Intel’s CEO, has spoken out on the recent adoption of Windows Phone 7 by Nokia, saying that the handset maker’s decision to go with Microsoft’s offering rather than Google Android or Intel’s own MeeGo platform was ‘financially motivated’. Nokia officially partnered with Microsoft last week, dropping both the MeeGo platform and their own Symbian operating system.

Nokia switching to the most lucrative OS offer may seem like a sensible business move but Otellini, as reported by Reuters, appears to think that Nokia have done themselves a disservice. Intel’s CEO said that Nokia would find it difficult to stand out while using Windows Phone 7, saying “I wouldn't have made the decision he [Nokia CEO Stephen Elop] made, I would probably have gone to Android if I were him. MeeGo would have been the best strategy but he concluded he couldn't afford it”
Intel is currently looking for another partner for their MeeGo platform according to Paul Otellini. “We will find another partner. The carriers still want a third ecosystem and the carriers want an open ecosystem, and that's the thing that drives our motivation”.
Brett Venter